Mechanical vs Digital Timer Switches in Application
A timer switch operates on an electric switch that you can control by a timing mechanism.
Intermatic timer switches are the first to be manufactured.
Mechanical Time Switch
Also known as Analog Time Switch, this switch is designed keeping in mind a spring that technically tracks the time. The mechanical timer is easy to use. You can set a particular time, just like that in a watch or any other device that requires setting a timer. It can be said that this is an automatic light switch timer as once the timer is set, there is nothing more that has to be done from the user’s side. The mechanical time switch will work manually. The simplicity of this switch acts as a significant advantage as it makes it quite durable too. The in-wall timer switch is comparatively less priced and is a perfect investment for anyone looking for
something affordable with good quality.
When it comes to setting a timer, the duration depends significantly on the model chosen. Some may allow multiple on and off periods, while others may restrict it to 60 minutes.
There are two types of Mechanical Switches:
- Plug-in switches that are like electric sockets and are simple to use. They feature time control, and you can only plug them in after setting the timer.
- The in-wall timer switch has become more complicated as they have to be installed on the wall.
While you can easily install an automatic light switch timer, and anyone can do the work in minutes, in-wall switches will require professional help for the setup. They are more complex and will also manage the light system of the entire house.
Advantages of installing a mechanical time switch:
- This automatic light switch timer is very simple to use and install.
- It is highly reliable and will work well in home settings.
- The simplicity of the switch makes it very durable, and hence it will last longer, making the investment worth it.
- It is also inexpensive and will be a good value for money.
Drawbacks of the mechanical timer switch:
- Needs proper cleaning. The accumulation of dirt can lead to the malfunctioning of the switch.
- It can easily damage depending on the conditions around them, more likely to happen if you place the switch outdoors.
The GEYA 24 hours’ mechanical timer switch will be an excellent choice as you can use it for multiple reasons. These include washing machine, car, ceiling lights, pushbuttons, etc. In addition, GEYA offers a wide range of products that you can consider when planning to purchase a programmable light timer switch.
Digital Time Switch
These switches run on programs. They have varied options and are suited for multiple occasions as it is programmable. They usually offer control switches for 24 hours. Some models under the digital time switch even allow users to set multiple settings for different days of the week. While being away from home, it will enable the users to set the timer for even seven days. The great thing about the switches is that you can protect them using solid passwords, hence, not allowing anyone to control the settings.
With the increase in technology, these switches also come with sensors to detect sunlight and change the light settings accordingly. The newer models allow the users to make the switches connect to their phone, allowing the phone to act as a remote control to manage the switch settings. You can also connect the models to newer technology like Google Home and Alexa, allowing voice controls. These have become automatic light switch timers and are easy to access and control with the upgrade in technology.
Like Mechanical Time Switches, digital time switches come in both plugin and in-wall switches with the same characteristics when setting them up.
Advantages of installing a digital timer switch:
- The digital timer switches offer a variety of options due to the latest technology that it uses.
- The sensors act as a great advantage as they help save electricity by detecting the amount of light required.
- There has a visually appealing design that makes them look aesthetic and modern.
- They are versatile because of the numerous services it offers under the one-timer switch.
Drawbacks of a digital timer switch:
- The wiring required to set up a digital timer switch varies from standard wiring. It requires neutral wiring, which is not the same as ground wiring, and if you use ground wiring, it might lead to hazards.
- They also require different switch plates. You will have to do pre-planning before installing a digital timer switch as they won’t go with the regular switch plates available at home.
GEYA offers multiple digital time switches with different functions that include programmable digital timer switches and a digital light timer switch.
The mechanical timer switch and the digital timer switch usually have the same performance and functions, with very little difference.
Mechanical timers are larger and can take a lot of electric load as compared to digital switches. They are designed as large metal boxes that won’t always go with the décor of the house. On the other hand, digital timer switches are smaller and more aesthetic. These designs often act as a better fit for houses. Mechanical time switches can be controlled through on and off buttons and are limited to Either 24 hours a day or seven days a week.
At the same time, digital time switches are controlled automatically and can be set through specific date and time. They can either be set for seven days a week, 24 hours a day or even yearly. Both the timer switches have their own set of advantages and can be suitable to users according to the requirement. There are many models available that offer different functions and weightage.
Either way, both these switch timers are a great asset to the owners and make an excellent choice.